Friday, July 11, 2008

The truth really will set me free

I got sort of shunted into a slot on the governing board at my church that I am 100% completely unsuited for. They needed someone to fill a secondary position and because I was a new member, they figured (rightly) that I'd be reluctant to say no. I also knew that the next year I'd be expected to move up to a position with more authority and responsibility.

The responsibility part is fine, except for the fact that I am woefully lacking in the know-how that's necessary to do the job right. So I waited out the year that just ended, patiently hoping that I'd somehow catch on. Everybody was sweet, nice and encouraging, so I kept waiting.

But last night we had our first board meeting and when people asked me questions, assuming there was more to me than my title, I got this deer-in-the-headlights look and fumbled around trying to fake it.

So this afternoon I e-mailed three of the individuals involved in such matters and told them straight out that I'd really appreciate keeping the position I had last year and letting someone else take over the reins. This person is simply waiting in the wings, but is far more qualified than I. It would not bother me in the least to see her move up while I stay put. These are not paid positions so it shouldn't make any real difference. I can do as much good, or more good, as 2nd banana than if I sat there in my glorious cluelessness while things went to that place that doesn't exist in a handbasket.

No comments: